Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Swedish Protest Music

It has been brought to my attention from liberal Swedish readers that my selection of Swedish music was lacking. So to rectify that, here are three classics, from the mid 80s and forward.

First out, anti-establishment prog group Ebba Grön with "Mamma pappa barn" or Mother, Father, Child. Later they became the establishment, due to their local success . . .



And then we have something different: Imperiet or "The Empire" in English with "Blå Himlen Blues" or "Blue Heaven Blues." I know, I know, you may think that they look like people lost from a gay bar in San Francisco, but I think they resemble Russian sailors singing a very longing Russian folk song. That's it. It is gooooooooood. Oh, the hat is actually from the Salvation Army. Pay close attention and you'll see.



And I'll end the music with Ebba Grön & Eldkvarn featuring "Flyktsoda Live." By the way, to be "left" in Sweden or any European country is very, very different from being "left" in the U.S. But, of course, you don't have to be anything to like good music with a local touch . . .

4 comments:

insider said...

Thank you so much for broadening my musical knowledge (and tastes)!

All this from one little Abba post!

;-)

Insider

Ed Keer said...

Now that's what I'm talking about. Though you didn't post Staten och Kapitalet. Will I ever be satisfied?

Peter Rost said...

Liberal Elite, I was thinking of that, but Staten och Kapitalet (That State and the Capitalists, loosly translated) just didn't sound that good . . . sorry.

Ed Keer said...

Peter, well reasonable people will disagree.

Anyway, you can see it at my blog (with translation).