Thursday, October 19, 2006

Confessions of a Healthcare Hitman

From the blog Disorienteer:

I've just finished "Whistleblower: Confessions of a Healthcare Hitman," an expose by Dr. Peter Rost of his trials and tribulations with pharma giant Pfizer as it assimilated his former company, Pharmacia. It's amazing to me that in today's post-Enron environment that corporations can still behave so shamefully and get away with it. In the interest of full disclosure, I make my living thanks to healthcare and pharmaceutical marketing. That's why I read this book with so much interest. I have a tendency to be an apologist for the industry at large because I do believe that in general, it's a great industry that has saved millions of lives around the world. (See, there I go again.) And I certainly know any number of fine individuals who work for the industry. BUT, and it's a big BUT, I cannot excuse or explain how Dr. Rost was treated after coming forward with information that was critical for Pfizer to know. The story is so utterly absurd, you can't believe it actually happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand where the "Disorinteer" comes from. There are lot of good people working in the Big pharma who tend to be appologists for them for many reasons. The major one they make a good living in it. Of course the pharma business has done wonderful things (penicillin, etc. etc....) and Peter and others who agree with him have no problem with that. Our problem is the way the the predatory mangement does the business to sell, sell, sell, .....
There are 3 sides to Big Pharma: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. This is about the Bad and the Ugly side that we must change if we are to save the democracy in USA and other parts of the World. So lets Do It!!