Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Pfizer: Lying by omission

I love Pfizer's PR spin to their $35 million Genotropin settlement:

Subhead to their press release is: "Pfizer Discovered and Promptly Reported Subsidiary’s Off-Label Marketing of Genotropin to Justice Department, Other Agencies."

There is something called "lying by omission" and Pfizer is master in this art. Lies of commission (telling a lie) and lies of omission (withholding the truth) are both acts of intentional deception. Both reap the same consequences. Both are intended to significantly alter the other person's capacity to make an informed decision or come to an informed opinion.

What Pfizer forgets is that I wrote them and told them about the problems, over and over again, and I forced them to take action, and that Pfizer didn't contact Justice Department until long after I wrote and said they had to do this . . . well funny thing, Pfizer has requested the Court to make all those documents confidential.

Fortunately, Pfizer hasn't been able to stop my book, The Whistleblower, and you can read all about those documents there.

1 comment:

. said...

Dear Dr. Rost,

Where is the Digg button? I was going to digg this important story. Oh well, you can see my linking to your story at gcic.blogspot.com

Please keep up the blog... I read it always.

BK