Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A literary evening with an outsider in New York

So, tonight I'm going to be at that bookstore in New York and talk about my book. That feels pretty good. I guess because it is a very different world than I'm used to. Not the bookstore, but the literary world. I haven't spent that much time in it. I don't think I've ever even met a professor of media studies before, so that should be intersting. As far as the literary world goes, this little video clip kind of demonstrates my feelings for it:



I know you may wonder what I'm smoking, but hey, it's a feeling. The video shows "Dancing at the cafe - Bande a Part (AKA Band of Outsiders)" and I guess I do feel like an outsider right now. I don't really mind. That means I can speak my mind.

Fun part is, more literary types, like Lauren Cerand, are now rounding up people to come to this event. She writes this:

TUESDAY 1.2: At McNally Robinson, “Join Mark Crispin Miller and Peter Rost for a discussion of Rost’s The Whistleblower. McNally Robinson Booksellers is restarting their First Tuesdays political series, hosted by Mark Crispin Miller. The goal of the series is tohighlight issues-oriented titles that may be a little too dangerous to receive a great deal of mainstream media attention, and bring the authors into conversation with their customers. 7:00pm.

I'm just not sure of what to wear. Corporate suit--or literary jeans and sweater. Maybe a compromise?

Jacket with black turtleneck?

So many decisions in just one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

National Conference on Media Reform, Peter.

Memphis.

Jan 12-14.

I promise it will inspire and no one expects a damn thing from you, you can just learn (and schmooze ahem 'network').

This is your new crowd.

Thursday is the last day to register.

Amy Meier

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there. Hope you make it out to the West Coast some day for a book tour or other type of appearance.

Let us know how it went.

Anonymous said...

How'd it go? What did you wear? Were you all corporate or boho? Did you sell a lot of books?