Monday, August 27, 2007

Is something out of whack with the Healthcare 100 blogs?

Or am I simply missing something . . . I started checking the Healthcare 100 rankings, going first to my own blogs:

If we look just at Technorati ranking we get following results:
Question Authority Technorati Rank 23,674 which gives a 17 on Top 100
BrandweekNRX Technorati Rank 63,488 which gives a 13 on Top 100

So far so good.

But then if I compare these numbers with other blogs, things start to look weird:

PharmaGiles Technorati Rank 177,881 which gets a 18 (doesn't make sense, should be lower number than the two blogs above) on Top 100

Compare with HealthcareRenewal, Technorat Rank 38,561, which only gets a Top 100 rank of 15, and clearly is ranking higher on Technorati than PharmaGiles.

Stayin Alive gets Technorati Rank 4,551 which gives a high 25 (makes sense based on ranking), the only problem is that most blogs linking to this blog are SPAM BLOGS, check it out!!!

Same thing with HealthCareVox Technorati Ranking not visible, but enormous amount of blogs linking, all look like SPAM BLOGS, but only gets 17 on Top 100(doesn't make ANY sense from pure numbers perspective, has 7,143 blogs linking compared to 144 for PharmaGiles).

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but it looks like the Healthcare 100 is somewhat of whack, if not, I apologize. And I realize a static algorithm can't filter out the blogs cheating with spam blogs.

Cary, would you mind letting us know if I'm missing the big pictures, or if a tiny virus has been messing with your system? And perhaps check the Google and Bloglines rankings as well . . . ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's definitely not right. I don't get the traffic to warrant my rating, hence my sarcastic post...

Peter Rost said...

Actually, you tipped me off to this with your post . . . so I started to check out some of the blogs. Hope it can be fixed.

:)

Anonymous said...

Actually, regarding the links to HealthCareVox, the blogs aren't spam blogs. Instead, the business blogging network I write for automatically links to all of the blogs in the network -- from each blog. I can assure you that all of the blogs are quite legit. However, Technorati seems to account for this in the blog ranking.

Anonymous said...

Peter,

Thanks for your concern and I apologize for all the confusion.

Unfortunately our algorithm is as strong as our weakest link; no pun intended :)

The Healthcare100.com pings Technorati, Bloglines & Google for the most recent data but sometimes they hit a snag and give us incorrect data.

In the future you can expect to see more frequent updates to correct this problem.

Please click here to read more: http://edrugsearch.com/edsblog/the-healthcare-100-will-never-be-perfect-but-we-wont-stop-trying/