Friday, October 06, 2006

The Whistleblower Center

Some of my readers have proposed that I should start a non-profit whistleblower center.

I think that's an outstanding idea. So I have now started "The Whistleblower Center."

Right here on this blog.

The idea with a non-profit is that there are some tax benefits. That assumes you get people contributing to the cost of running the "Center." But I don't think paying taxes will be a problem, considering some of the comments from my readers who could not afford the $10 price of "The Whistleblower." Normally a new book is released in hard cover with a cost of $25, which we wanted to avoid, so to assist in purchasing this real-life thriller we set this low price; I guess we didn't realize that this too, was a difficult hurdle to overcome . . .

So I haven't bothered registering as a non-profit, and will simply continue to run as a for profit enterprise and pay taxes. Should contributions start to flow in (yeah, right) I will change that. But zero income makes it easy to pay zero taxes even if you are a for-profit-entity.

Anyone with any thoughts on companies interested in contributing money, let me know (ha ha). Or any other organizations interested in supporting such an effort (those may exist, a couple at least).

So what's the purpose here?

Simply to help whistleblowers. Direct them to legal resources, give advice and help spread the word about how you can fight back. After all my book "The Whistleblower" is practically a step-by-step manual for what you can do. Please read terms of use and privacy policy for this blog carefully before e-mailing me. If you want confidentiality, please indicate so.

And if there are any wanna-be whistleblowers out there, feel free to write to me, and I may respond in private or I may respond on this blog so we can all learn, unless you tell me not to.

That's it. Now it is up to you!

For a moment I toyed with the idea of putting up one of those "contribute buttons," but I figured based on the response to my question about who had read my book, that this would probably scare away around 90% of my readers and then there would only be me and the Pfizer lawyers left reading this blog. Scary thought.

After all, talk is cheap, coming here is free, and actually spending money on whistleblowers . . . well something tells me most of my readers will think that is a fabuous idea, as long as it doesn't cost them anything.

;)

Right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Rost,

Glad you've decided to use your difficult experiences with Corporations Gone Wild and your BLOG to help others. A suggestion for all within a corporation: GET HOLD OF AND PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR COMPANY'S BUSINESS CONDUCT POLICY BOOK. Then post it here at The Whistleblower Center for all to see. And study it like hell. Then, naturally, LIVE IT!

Regarding potential revenue sources, what about pitching BLOG advertising to all of the 1-800-lawyer firms out there as well as some of the white-shoe firms that do class-action or whistleblower work. This way pennies may come pouring in for each click-through to a law-firm's website.

Just some thoughts to get this thing going. What about a press release?? The media would LOVE that the rank-and-file have a place to congregate online and get encouragement, direction and moral support.

You're great Dr. Rost!

Anonymous said...

Here is a website (a .org) called All About Qui Tam: http://www.allaboutquitam.org/

I would imagine that it should be established that there are varying degrees of 'whistleblowers' from the honest gal-at-the-bottom-of-the-food-chain who 'speaks up' against dis-honesty with a lower-case 'd' all the way up to the 'official' qui tam whistleblower.

Peter Rost said...

LOVE IT!

More suggestions?

Feel free to send best part of your company's "ethics handbook" and we will post here. Preferrably juxtaposed with million dollar settlement with the Justice department for violating said policy . . .

:))

Peter Rost said...

Actually, Peacenow, General Patton said "No soldier ever won a war by dying for his country." My primary interest right now is basic survival.

When you write "These things can only be done effectively after you've gotten clear in your own mind that you're not in this for personal aggrandizement...but as a a service to a hurting world." you are soooooo far out!

At this point I'm in this for survival, and I'm poking holes in the enemy's baloons, just for the fun of it. They're crooks, but I have no false idea I can change the world. Most of the world consists of crooks or people who will sell out to crooks. You just have to learn to live with 'em.

The sooner you realize that the easier this will be.

And I don't recommend for others to be whistleblowers. There is no benefit to that.

I just did what I had to do in a difficult situation. All very pragmatic. Then, I decided to have some fun with the crooks. Like tell the world the truth. That WAS fun.

There is nothing grand or self serving about this, the whole war has been forced upon me, so hey, I'm just enjoying the fight. That's the only way to win.

And I don't feel so peaceful or asram-like. Much more like in a war mode, since that's what I'm fighting. You are right about much of what you write, BUT, what stops YOU from doing all this? Perhaps you do, however, I find more and more often people cheering on, but they always want to put the monkey on someone else's back.

Oh well.

Kansas said...

Doc, you said:

"Normally a new book is released in hard cover with a cost of $25, which we wanted to avoid, so to assist in purchasing this real-life thriller we set this low price; I guess we didn't realize that this too, was a difficult hurdle to overcome..."

And:

"Should contributions start to flow in (yeah, right)..."

And:

"For a moment I toyed with the idea of putting up one of those "contribute buttons," but I figured based on the response to my question about who had read my book, that this would probably scare away around 90% of my readers and then there would only be me and the Pfizer lawyers left reading this blog. Scary thought.

After all, talk is cheap, coming here is free, and actually spending money on whistleblowers...well something tells me most of my readers will think that is a fabuous idea, as long as it doesn't cost them anything."


Ok...ouch!

I’ve been keeping up with you even though I haven’t had time to comment lately. I read all the comments on your "Shaken not Stirred" and "Now I’m Curious..." posts. You asked for comments from your regulars who had read your book. Many comments were from people explaining why they hadn’t.

Many readers cited money as being the issue keeping them from purchasing your book. This seemed to leave a particularly bad taste in your mouth. I’ve noticed a decidedly snarky tone on your writing ever since (and not the good kind). The comment about a contribution button scaring away 90% of your readers was particularly sarcastic, as was the bit about most of your readers will think spending money on whistleblowers (the people, not the book) is a fab idea as long as it doesn’t cost us anything.

I feel the overwhelming need to shed some light on who "your readers" are and why you received some of the comments you did.

First of all, they’re honest. No one takes pride in admitting they can’t afford something, even if it is only $10. Do you know who your faithful readers are? They’re teachers, and office workers, and Wal-Mart employees, and single parents. They’re secretaries and grocery clerks and sales people. They’re working for minimum wage or a little over. They work hard. They’re the "little people" who don’t have a voice, but they do have an opinion. They’re tired of getting screwed by "the powers that be", but are too busy trying to keep their heads above water and raise decent children to do too much about it. When they come across a champion for what’s right, they get behind them and cheer them on. They support them with their time and encouragement as much as possible.

But my dear Doctor, you must realize something. This is YOUR fight. YOU are the champion. You are the doctor/big pharma guy who knows all about this business. WE are not. WE are just people, trying to live our lives. We are Middle America and we are far removed from the world of big pharma. Except for the readers who are actually a part of that business, we are all on the outside looking in.

This is YOUR fight, we are just spectators. And while we like you, and support you, and are fascinated and entertained by your writings, this is still your fight. You poured your heart and soul into a book, much like I do with my photographs. I take it personally when people don’t just fall all over themselves to buy my work. But I realize photography is not everyone’s cup of tea, and the last thing I would do is chide my supporters for not buying what I create.

You’ve obviously taken those comments very personally and now that offense is coming out in many of your writings. I fear you may be alienating some of your most loyal readers. We followed you from HuffPo to RostPo. And even though many loyal readers don’t leave comments (or comment as Anony-mooses), I expect many readers check your tiny corner of the blog world many times a days just to see what you’re up to.

You do not want to alienate these people simply because they choose not to purchase your book. This is not a breach of loyalty on their part, just a personal choice, for personal reasons. To chide these people with snarky remarks not only belittles them, but I would imagine it then brings YOUR loyalty into question.

Blow it off, Doc. After all, aren’t these the very people you are fighting for?