Monday, October 30, 2006

The daylight saving time scam.

OK, so yesterday we all moved out watches back one hour.

I don't get this. Why even bother?

I mean, why not keep daylight saving time the entire year?

Sure, it was light and bright this morning, but by the time people drive home from work it'll be dark. What's the point of that?

And, to change the video, the tuner, the oven clock, the microwave clock, the watches, the car clocks, and a gazillion other clocks is a major pain.

So here's a cry for change:

KEEP DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME AROUND THE YEAR.

The fact that someone got the whole time thing wrong hundreds of years ago, doesn't mean we can't change things now, right?

But if you think about it, it wasn't the people who set time who got it wrong. Just the people who set the time when we start work. Because if most jobs and schools started at 10 AM instead of 9 or 8 or 7, no one would worry about daylight savings time.

So you know what I think will happen?

In the end, daylight saving time will result in starting-work-early-adjustments.

Soon, instead of some people being in the office at 7 AM they will start at 6 AM or 5 AM.

Many already do.

Eventually we'll all just live at work, and visit home over weekends. Until they take away the weekend. Of course, lots of people already have lost their weekends.

It's all a big scam to get us to work more. The daylight saving time scam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the lights on in the morning.
The kids aren't waiting for the bus in the dark. That's what keeps getting earlier ..the bus.....6:45 am ..I'm glad to see the time back to normal.
I wish they would leave it the way it is. I agree they change the time to
make us work..... later. I prefer that
corporate America know that it's time to go home before 9pm. They don't often ask us to come in earlier...but staying late has become routine. LIGHTS
OFF...let's go home.

Anonymous said...

It isn't just about work though -- it's about spending. I have heard of studies (sorry, no ref) that say when there is more daylight at the end of the day people are more inclined to go shopping. So it's better for business, not for us. My state just recently bulldozed daylight savings through the legislature and everyone I've talked to hates it. Someone said it's like cutting the end off of a piece of rope and tying it on to the other side and claiming you've made it longer.

Anonymous said...

I just wish they would pick a half hour compromise and leave it that way. I too remember reading about people spending more with daylight hours nowadays.

We don't have the same farm ethic in this country and the few farmers I met in my younger days could care less about the Daylight Savings scam. They will work just before daylight until just after and could care less about the clocks.

Total scam.

Anonymous said...

The stats I have read claim a 1% energy savings. BIG DEAL! How about the disruption of peoples lives in having to adjust to getting up in the dark again (after their internal clock has gradually been adjusted on it's own). There are NO savings in Daylight Saving Time. It's completely pointless and very annoying.