Thursday, July 08, 2010

4th day fasting: My new love is a Bloody Mary for dinner

I've never had a glass of tomato juice. Pretty much ever. Or a Bloody Mary.

But since I'm fasting, and I figured I didn't want to mess up my electrolytes too much, and a tiny glass of skim milk and orange juice before running in the morning may not be enough to offset all those salts pouring out of my body as I run in ninety-five degree sveltering heat in the morning, perhaps I should try something a bit salty.

So I tried a Bloody Mary.

Oh my gosh.

It was probably the best thing I've had for ages and it tasted like a full meal.

That's the thing about fasting, you start to really, really appreciate the small stuff.

It took me half an hour to slowly sip that Bloody Mary, and to relish the aroma from the tomatoes, the texture of some of the lemon pulp, and the sting on my tongue.

Tonight, I'll have another Bloody Mary.

That's something to look forward to.

Here is a Bloody Mary recipe courtesy of the New York School of Bartending, although I prefer the thing virgin, or with just a few drops of vodka:

1 oz. to 1½ oz. (30-45 ml) vodka in a Highball glass filled with ice.
Fill glass with tomato juice
1 dash celery salt
1 dash ground black pepper
1 dash Tabasco
2-4 dashes of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. horseradish (pure, never creamed)
Dash of lemon or lime juice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. Did the vodka have a different effect?