Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Woman banned from smoking in garden

Here's a story from my native Sweden . . . a Swedish woman who was barred from smoking in her garden is appealing the order to the country's Environmental High Court.

The woman, whose name was not released, was temporarily banned by the Environmental Court in Vaxjo from smoking close to her neighbor's hedge, The Local reported Tuesday. The ban was put in place until a conflict between the woman and her neighbor -- a lawyer who claims an aversion to cigarette smoke -- can be resolved.

However, the court must now wait on the outcome of the appeal before proceeding. The woman claims the partial outdoor smoking ban has no legal basis.

The woman's neighbor claims he has to wear an oxygen mask to walk from his home to his car because of his sensitivity to the smoke.

"He walks around with the mask on regardless of whether I'm smoking or not. It used to annoy me but now I don't care any more," the woman said
---------------
As for me, I know what the lawyer is complaining about. I used to have a neighbor who smoked his cigar, when he returned home, in his backyard every day. He just moved. And yeah, I didn't enjoy smelling his cigar instead of roses.

No comments: