Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My laptop

OK, word is now spreading through the blogosphere that I'm using an old Dell laptop.

This, of course, has to be corrected.

I used to use an old Compaq when that picture in the post And another article . . . was taken, but I guess that isn't really any better.

Anyway, someone in my family got fed up with me hogging the computer and forced me to buy a new one.

So I got a sleek new Sony VAIO VGN-N130G.

I figured, it offers twice the performance of the old machine at $800 vs. the $1200 I paid for the Compaq five years ago. I could've spent twice as much but it would have been outdated in two years anyway.

And I know, it isn't a Mac. But I've spent twenty years working for big corporations, and I know every in and out of the shoddy XP operating system.

You just have to live with the fact that the thing may crash or stop working properly anytime, and then you reinstall from scratch and the machine works like it was new again.

Reinstalling everything is often a lot faster than talking with a tech in India who doesn't speak english. Although system restore is also a great function. But for some reason half the time my machine decides it can't do any restores . . . And of course, my Sony completely crashed a couple of days ago, and I couldn't even restart the thing, not even in safe mode, and I called Sony's help center (learned to tap F10 to go into automatic reinstall mode from the partitioned recovery drive). The nice surprise was that instead of the non-english speaking tech from HP, I got to talk to a real, live english speaking Sony person.

Impressive.

As for Vista, I have the option to get it, but don't hold your breath. It took Microsoft five years to clean up XP, and it still doesn't work too well, and I think I'll wait a year or two installing that one.

No comments: