Thursday, February 26, 2009

"The stock market was created to separate the typical investor from his or her money"

Comment today by investment guru Richard Russell in his Dow Theory Letter.

If you're not subscribing, you're probably losing more money than you have to.

Here's what more he wrote: "This is a business where you can never relax, and say, "yeah, I get it." Because nobody gets it for long. For instance, yesterday I listed the reasons why I thought the primary trend of the market was bearish. But in the back of my mind I'm saying to myself, "The Dow topped out at 14164 and collapsed to 7350, a huge loss of 6814 points. Somewhere ahead we're going to get a full correction of those losses. A 50% correction (not impossible) could take the Dow back to well over 10,000. And wouldn't that be a shocker! Everybody would be convinced that the bull market had returned, and the public would rush back into the market in the hopes of making up for their losses. "Yeah, I think of that, and I watch for signs of a strengthening of the market. I don't see healthy signs yet, not in my PTI, not in the Lowry's studies. But I know that somewhere ahead the "big fooler" will arrive, and it will kill the shorts, and ultimately it will double-cross the public. That's the way bear markets work. Subscribers who have my history of the Averages chart books can follow some of the previous bear markets, to see what I'm talking about (and yes, I sell chart books of the D-J Averages going back to the beginning)."

No comments: