Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Letter from "Whistleblower" reader

Of course, after having worked so long to get a book out, it is great to get feed-back . . . so I was delighted to get the following letter.

Dr. Rost,

I purchased your book on Friday. It's a great read and very valuable information for me. I blew the whistle early this year on the Laboratory for which I worked. I too took a similar road, as I notified the company first. I resigned at the end of May because I just couldn't take the harassment. I guess I'm not as tough as you. I was also a little lower down the food chain. I break out in constant hives, but at least I sleep better at night. I could have stayed, but at what price? My integrity, my health and my marriage were not worth the cost.

FYI the Lab industry is as bad, if not worse than Pharma. I worked in Pharma for 10 years and left because of many of the ethics issues. I was shocked at what Labs do! I have watched a number of good people get fired as result of questioning their practices. Your information on the Criminal Code on pg 92 might be very helpful to them. I've told them all to buy your book and take a copy to their lawyer.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate! We can only facilitate change in the industry and regain respect for it, when more people follow your lead. You are setting a great example for your children. They are fortunate to have you as their father.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that most people are just happy to have a job. As miserable as it can be, there is too much riding on ones income. After I quit my lab job I immediately started looking for another one. I don't think the next job will be any different but I need money. I need at least 50K/year to make my house payments. Having spent five years in the Navy, four in college, and the last ten in laboratories, I don't have any other skills worth at least 50K/year.

The laboratory staff of a pharmaceutical company is indeed lower on food chain. Yet we form the foundation of the company. Look at a biotech/pharmaceutical company website. They are covered in pictures of cells and pipettes and people wearing white lab coats. These are some of the most tormented souls in the business. Having studied science makes it hard to swallow what they are asking you to do.

Keep up the good work Peter.

CL Psych said...

Just checking in to offer Peter's site my highest recommendation. I have been reading quite a bit on the industry and have had some firsthand experience with the industry as well. I've not read the book yet, but I will soon. If you can drag yourself away from this fine site, you can feel free to visit my blog, which mostly focuses on psychiatry and clinical psychology -- http://clinpsyc.blogspot.com -- but the themes are rather similar to this site. Again, keep up the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous,
You could try turning tricks, at least prostitution would be more honest?
(actually, many of my fellow chemistry grads ended up where you are)
Cheers
Benedict